Candle Care Tips and
Common Questions

The great thing about coconut and soy waxes are that they burn clean with almost no soot and have a long burn time.  We use phthalate free fragrances specifically formulated for candles to ensure quality and safety in our candles.  Many are infused with natural essential oils.

Here are some tips to get the best out of your coconut-soy candle:

A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.

  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.

  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.

Coconut Soy Wax blends are not expected to reach a full melt pool on the first burn.  It may take several four hour burn times to reach a full melt pool.  A little wax hang up on the sides of the container are perfectly normal for the first couple of burn times.

Do not burn your candle for longer than 4 hours at any one time.  This may create a safety hazard in which the candle container may get extremely hot and the flame may get too large.  It will also shorten the enjoyment time of your candle.

It is very important to trim the wick of your candle to 1/8”(wooden wicks)-1/4”(cotton wicks) before each burn.  This will prevent excessive flame and help prevent the wick from burning too hot.  Do not allow wick debris to fall into the melt pool as it may clog your wick and inhibit the burn of your candle.  For our wooden wicks, simply pinch the top of the wick off and dispose of the charred ends.  For our cotton wicked candles, trim with scissors, toenail clippers, or a wick trimmer if you have one.

It is recommended to store your candles away from direct sunlight and from extreme temperature changes such as being near heat registers or air conditioners.  Direct sunlight may cause colored candles/melts to fade or morph colors from the UV rays.  Extreme temperature changes may impact the wax's ability to hold it's fragrance oil causing it to sweat.


per the National Candle Association



  • Before burning, always trim the wick to ¼ inch. You can use a wick trimmer, nail clippers, or scissors. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.

  • When lighting a candle, use long matches or a long-reach lighter. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.

  • Always use a candleholder specifically designed for candle use. It should be heat resistant, sturdy, and large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.

  • Burn candles in a well-ventilated room.

  • Place the candleholder on a stable, heat-resistant surface. This will also help prevent possible heat damage to counters and table surfaces and prevent glass containers from cracking or breaking.

  • Keep the wax pool clear of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.

  • Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, sooting, and excessive dripping.

  • Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use. In general, it is recommended that candles do not burn for longer than four hours and cool for at least two hours before relighting.



  • Never touch or move a burning candle. Never move a votive or container candle when the wax is liquefied.

  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down. For a margin of safety, discontinue burning a candle when 2 inches of wax remains (1/2 inch if in a container).

  • Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another. This is to make sure they don’t melt one another, or create their own drafts that will cause the candles to burn improperly.

  • Extinguish a candle if the flame becomes too high or flickers repeatedly. Let the candle cool, trim the wick, and check for unwanted drafts before re-lighting.

  • Always keep the candle within your sight. If you are going to leave the room, be sure to first blow out all candles.

  • Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room. Don’t burn too many candles in a small room or in a “tight” home where air exchange is limited.

  • Never use a candle as a night light.

  • Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure. Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet, or when fueling equipment – such as a lantern or kerosene heater.

  • Never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. Keep burning candles away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.

  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets. Do not place lighted candles where they can be knocked over by children, pets or anyone else.



  • Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.

  • Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.

  • Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.

  • Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.

  • Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.

Frequently Asked Questions: 

What causes the white marks in my soy candles?

The tiny, white looking crystals on the tops and sides of jars or melts are called frosting.  This is a natural characteristic of soy wax and does not affect the quality or burn of the candle.

Why are there wet spots on the sides of my jar candle?

Most common in winter when air temps are cooler.  Wet spots are where the wax has separated away from the sides of the jar as it cooled.  This does not affect the quality of the candle.

Why is my colored candle turning off colors or browning?

Some fragrance oils containing high vanilla content may oxidize causing the wax to “brown up” over time.  It may also cause candle tins to “rust” on the inside.  It does not affect the burn of the candle just the appearance. 

Another reason is an untrimmed wick may develop a large flame and burn too hot causing the wax to overheat.  This is a safety hazard so always make sure you trim your wick before you burn it. 

A candle exposed to UV/direct sunlight may yellow or fade tinted/colored soy wax.

Why is there wet oil on top of my candle?

Extreme temperature changes may cause soy wax to sweat fragrance oil.  You can leave it and allow the candle to reabsorb it or you may wipe it out with a tissue or paper towel.  Sweat droplets generally do not show up after your first burn as the flame will consume any excess oil.